Monday, October 3, 2011

My New Personal Intervention Blog

Hi Friends,

My University Studies course requires me to keep a personal blog journaling my stress levels and how I will accomplish staying CALM even in times of extreme stress aka 300+ pages of reading a week not including studying or homework. I love the idea because every week I will have to take responsibility (publicly) for how I handled my stress and what I did or didn't do to help my stress levels. I feel it will motivate me to continue on the healthy path that I vowed to stay on once starting classes. I promised myself I would continue to eat right and go to the gym 5-6 days a week no matter what. NO MATTER WHAT!!! I refuse to gain the 20 lbs they said we would gain in nursing school. Although, I already see how easy it could be to gain the weight. Every night on my drive home, fast food just seems to be so much easier to grab than actually cooking something healthy but I've been good. No fast food yet!!!

Going to the gym and eating healthy is currently my way of coping with stress and staying sane. I also love to cook and bake! Cooking and baking, making my family and friends smile with my food or sweet treats, is another way I keep my stress levels down. My goal for this school year is to create a yummy protein packed low fat/calorie muffin or cupcake using my favorite protein powder. Wish me luck, all of you will be my test kitchen bunnies. I know, I'm thinking big, I have no clue when I'll have the time to figure that one out but it's on "the list" hahaha.

Well it's only Monday and officially our 3rd week of classes and my stress level is measuring at low. I've managed to eat healthy and keep my gym routine since classes began. There is a lot of reading but the biggest thing stressing me out is trying to make this blog look pretty!!! Oh and having to rush my mom to Desert Regional's ER yesterday. She came to visit for the weekend and ended her trip at the ER. I will try to attach the picture she asked me to take after she got a shot of morphine to kill the pain...awwwh the power of pain medication. Poor thing was in so much pain I thought she was going to code. I kept praying, please don't let her code and my mom be the 1st REAL person I have to give CPR to! Funny part is, I almost made her copy her records, I was thinking CARE PLAN OPPORTUNITY. Guess I'm already thinking like a nursing student. Thanks to the staff at DRMC she's feeling much better and made her flight home today.

To be continued next week....or sooner if I have something interesting!!

4 comments:

  1. All my photos are coming out sideways, unsure why!!! errrrr

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job Shana, I'm so happy to hear that you are submerging yourself into the world of nursing when every thought brings you back to your studies. Pretty soon your jokes will be about nursing and you will turn into a geek…it happens to us all. With this said, don't forget about HIPAA, copying your Mom's chart would be a violation. Keep up the good work, and regarding the photos; try saving them in your computer program (editor of some sort) and rotate them in that program, save them then add them to the blog. That may help. See you tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks! Yes, I'm definitely feeling a little geeky, especially walking into the ER with my books to study. I also ran into my clinical instructor so that was cool.

    The photos are correct but uploading sideways, I think there is a problem in the coding. I will try to check it out later. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry I had to delete my other response to you. There was tons of errors. See you tomorrow! :)

    ReplyDelete